Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Almond Butter Cup Smoothie

This is a good one! I was looking for something different than cold spinach and chia whirred up because I was sick of drinking green stuff. I won. This isn't green. It may not even be that great for you, I'm not really sure. I don't care.

I wanted something cocoa-like, so I went looking for cacao powder, but instead came back with cacao nibs, I'm not really sure if there's a difference besides texture. Last night I walked around Green Lake with my friend Katie, who is a naturopathic dietitian and eating disorder therapist, and she told me to think about cacao just like any other additional protein. It's nutty tasting, full of anti-oxidants and not sweet at all....yet somehow sort of chocolatey.

I also bought some hella expensive powdered peanut butter, because once I was invited to this lavish 12 course meal at a fancy hotel that Oprah stays in, and one of the desserts was powdered peanut butter and chocolate pop rocks. (That was the night I accidentally ingested my former power animal.) Unfortunately, this stuff I bought tastes nothing like that fancy dessert....it's bitter and weird and I'm scared to use it. There's 8 bucks I'll never see again.

Recipe: 

1 cup almond milk
1 banana
2 tbs hemp protein
1 tbs cacao nibs (or however much you want)
Ice
1 giant spoonful of almond butter

You can skip the ice if you freeze your banana ahead of time, but some of us don't always think 24 hours ahead, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment